Home' The Southern Cross : August 2015 Contents August 2015 Page 7
The rapid pick-up of new social media
applications by Catholic youth is playing
a major part in the coordination, planning
and delivery of the next Australian Catholic
Youth Festival (ACYF) to be held in
Adelaide in December.
“Over the last five years social media
has become an essential part of
communicating any event, particularly
to young people,” said Gabrielle Sinclair,
project manager for the Australian Catholic
Bishops Conference (ACBC) Office for
The ACYF in Adelaide will be the first of
the ACBC-sponsored events to stream
live radio. This will be in addition to live
webcasting of the plenary sessions.
Mrs Sinclair last month said the official
hashtag #ACYF15 would be used to
encourage youth to search for friends and
post live during the festival. An event App
is also being developed.
She said youth could follow the
conference @ACBCYouthMin on
three platforms: Facebook, Twitter,
and Instagram. She said social media
would be used to communicate special
announcements, and feature particular
elements of the festival.
Xt3.com content and administration
manager Mary Elias said she expected
Twitter and Instagram would be the most
popular social media applications picked
up by pilgrims at the ACYF 2015.
“At the last conference (in Melbourne in
2013), we saw the importance of social
media and the Bishops Conference saw
the importance of it too, but now it really
is essential and integral; it’s no longer an
extra thing, an addition,” said Ms Elias.
The three plenary sessions and the Mass
of the inaugural ACYF 2013 attracted a
total live webcast audience of 7,268.
“Without a doubt social media is the
way young people interact today,” said
radio broadcaster and journalist Gianna
Lucas. “It really personalises an event and
connects people on a deeper level,” she
Mrs Lucas will coordinate and co-present
live internet streaming of Adelaide’s ArchD
Radio program at ACYF 2015. She will
head a team of Catholic youth to plan
interviews and special guest appearances
before a live audience at the Adelaide
Convention Centre over the three-day
Catholic youth event (Dec 3-6).
“The live streaming is perfect for those
people who cannot get to the festival,” she
said. “They might be working in Adelaide
or interstate and so in this way they can
be right among those at the festival just by
tuning in on their laptop or smartphone.
It’s a great initiative.”
At age 14, Mrs Lucas was part of all-
Australian girl band Charmz and has spent
several years on the Melbourne airwaves
presenting and producing at 89.9 LightFM
– Australia’s largest community radio
Group registrations are now open
for ACYF 2105 and applications for
organisations to have a stall in the
“INcounter” section of the festival have
also opened. Individual registrations will
be open soon. To register or for more
information visit www.youthfestival.
catholic.org.au or contact James
Meston on 08 8301 6109.
COUNTDOWN: Former Melbourne radio show host Gianna Lucas in Adelaide last month preparing for the ACYF in December
– the first Catholic youth festival to stream radio live from the event.
By Rebecca DiGirolamo
Calvary Health Care, which runs four
hospitals in Adelaide, says it would be
prepared to encourage Medibank Private
patients to switch health insurers after
August 30 over a disputed contract
The drastic move follows changes to the
care Medibank Private will fund hospitals
for. Those changes have been described
as “insidious and dumb” by Calvary
Health Care national chief executive
officer Mark Doran.
A mediation meeting has been scheduled
for later this month after both parties
failed to agree to a new list of 165 “highly
preventable adverse events” and a 280-
day re-admission rule as part of a new
contract due to start August 30.
Mr Doran said hospitals would be
penalised for the new events, like
infections in cancer patients and bleeding
and haemorrhage in patients with blood
clotting disorders, even if the event was
due to an underlying illness or not the
fault of the hospital. “It’s not about quality
and safety, it’s about dollars,” he said.
A Medibank Private spokesman said
the health insurer stood by its list of
“highly preventable adverse events”
based on international and Australian
evidence. “Medibank will continue to pay
for our member’s treatment or hospital
admissions but hospitals should be
responsible for these adverse events and
re-admissions,” he said.
Mr Doran said if the August 30 deadline
ticked over without a resolution, Calvary
Health Care would set up facilities across
its hospitals to assist patients to transfer
to another health fund.
Catholic Health Australia CEO Suzanne
Greenwood last month called on
Medibank Private to stop imposing
contract terms that would penalise
hospitals for events that did not take into
account either clinical context or the risk-
profile of patients. “We are also concerned
that if Medibank Private’s inflexible
approach becomes widespread, it may
ultimately result in private patients finding
it harder to access care in the private
sector – putting further pressure on the
already very-burdened public system.”
Calvary Health Care treats more than
35,000 patients in South Australia each
year – over 7000 of them are Medibank
Private members. In Calvary North
Adelaide Hospital, the Mary Potter
Hospice sees 260 end-of-life patients
through its doors annually.
Calvary North Adelaide Hospital chief
executive officer Sue Imgraben (pictured)
said: “People with chronic illnesses and
people in their last year of life – to whom
Calvary has traditionally given special
attention and care – would be made more
vulnerable by these penalties.”
Ms Imgraben said Medibank Private
patients booked in before August 30
would have their claims honoured by
Medibank. She said patients needed to
discuss changing insurance providers
with their doctors.
“The changes Medibank are making in
cancelling our contract affects our mission
and values and everything we do and why
the hospital was founded,” she said.
Medibank Private says the chronically
unwell and dying requiring multiple
admissions were excluded from the 28-
day re-admission rule being opposed in
Calvary Health Care is run by the Little
Company of Mary Health Care, set up by
a Catholic order of nuns called the Little
Company of Mary Sisters.
Calvary crusades against health insurance giant
Links Archive July 2015 September 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page