Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.
The Southern Cross : December 2011
Archbishop Wilson's 10th anniversary feature, starts page 11 $2 inc. GST December 2011 TheSouthern Cross Part of your Catholic family since 1867 On behalf of all board members, the CEO, staff, volunteers and clients at Southern Cross Care (SA & NT) Inc. I congratulate Archbishop Wilson on his 10th Anniversary as Catholic Archbishop of Adelaide. Brendan Bowler AM Chairman of Southern Cross Care (SA & NT) Inc. HELPING HAND: This Christmas more than 40 Catholic parishes, schools and welfare agencies will hand deliver emergency food hampers to families across South Australia. They will be assisted in their efforts by 250 volunteers from the corporate sector packing 10,000 hampers at Foodbank's Edwardstown warehouse. Pictured, from left, are Mary Nieuwendijk, Maureen Butler and Margaret Kiely from the Brighton St Vincent de Paul conference. Full story page 3. Photo: Nat Rogers www.thesoutherncross.org.au Hepworth claims rejected Archbishop Philip Wilson has released the findings of an investigation by Mr Michael Abbott QC into allegations made by Traditional Anglican Communion Archbishop John Hepworth against Brighton parish priest Monsignor Ian Dempsey. Archbishop Wilson said the report found there was no substance to the allegations of rape made by Archbishop Hepworth. Monsignor Dempsey was named under parliamentary privilege by Senator Nick Xenophon in September, resulting in widespread media coverage. Archbishop Wilson said the Abbott investigation included interviews with 29 witnesses, many of whom were present at the time the events were alleged to have occurred, and a large number of documents including those dating back to the relevant period. "I am satisfied that Mr Abbott examined every aspect of the allegations raised by Archbishop Hepworth," Archbishop Wilson said. "Based on the findings made in the report, and the evidence upon which it is based, I intend to accept the findings in full." Archbishop Wilson said that Mr Abbott also found there was no basis to criticism aired by Senator Nick Xenophon in Federal Parliament about the Archdiocese's handling of the complaint. He found the matter was handled in a completely appropriate and professional way by the Vicar General Monsignor David Cappo, and in accordance with proper procedures and sensitivity towards Archbishop Hepworth. The Archbishop's full statement on the Abbott report is available at www. adelaide.catholic.org.au. It was reported last month that Archbishop Hepworth, who has been campaigning for the TAC to join the Catholic Church, was informed by the Vatican that as a former Catholic priest, he would only be accepted as laity. Archbishop Hepworth held a press conference on November 29 to announce he was reporting his allegations against Monsignor Dempsey to the police. Joy for all